The latest advancements in chemical engineering have improved every category of metalworking fluid. The newest forming fluids and corrosion inhibitors, such as those in the WEDOLiT™ catalog, enable manufacturers to complete multiple production steps with a single fluid. Meanwhile, biobased cutting fluids like TRIM® HyperSol™ 888NXT drastically increase tool life. 

Across the board, these advanced fluids help manufacturers set new standards for efficiency, part quality, production times, and performance. They have also proven to have a reduced impact on the environment. 

Many next generation metalworking fluids are made from plant materials, though their sustainability profile extends far beyond their ingredients — with benefits throughout the manufacturing value chain. Check out the five biggest advantages next generation metalworking fluids provide for the environment:

Reduced Resource Consumption

Biobased cutting fluids use biodegradable ingredients instead of nonrenewable resources like petroleum. For example, HyperSol 888NXT is certified by the USDA as 54 percent biobased. Since organic ingredients are able to replenish, their net resource consumption is zero. 

Sumps usually contain no more than 10 percent cutting fluid, so the remaining 90 percent is water. New fluids perform more efficiently than older solutions, plus there’s less carry off and fluid loss. This reduces overall fluid consumption, including water. 

Advanced cutting fluids can offer significantly greater cooling ability than conventional formulas. They also enjoy a longer sump life and are formulated to be resistant to tramp oil, bacteria, and other contaminants that limit their usefulness. The longer a particular fluid lasts, the less needs to be purchased and manufactured. These fluids also dramatically extend tool life, minimizing cutting tool consumption as well. 

In lieu of achieving a fully circular supply chain, extending the useful life of fluids and cutting tools is the best way to conserve resources. Their resistance to contaminants also makes the disposal process easier and less resource intensive.  


Lower Carbon Emissions

Overproduction of CO2 is one of the leading drivers of climate change. It’s imperative that manufacturers reduce emissions in every possible way — and next generation metalworking fluids are crucial to support this initiative. 

In addition to products such as HyperSol, which reduce the amount of petroleum used, advanced fluids also lessen the shipping and logistics strain on supply chains. Carbon emissions from cargo ships, freight planes, and delivery trucks add up, so an industry-wide reduction in order volume can have a major impact on manufacturing’s carbon footprint. 

Advanced corrosion inhibitors and forming fluids, such as those in the WEDOLiT catalog, also allow manufacturers to accomplish multiple production steps with a single product. 

Waste Reduction

Next generation metalworking fluids often perform better at lower concentrations, preventing direct consumption waste. Even at lower concentrations, overall performance is still enhanced compared to conventional formulas. With advanced lubricity and cooling ability, the latest generations of metalworking fluids enable more accurate machining and higher productivity. This allows manufacturers to make more complex parts, reduce their scrap rate and achieve a better surface finish.    

For example, a global automotive parts manufacturer controlled corrosion with WEDOLiT™ AN 7210, which, in turn, reduced scrap rate to less than 2 percent. In addition, these fluids profoundly extend tool life. Case in point: Tool life was improved over 200 percent for a precision parts manufacturer by using HyperSol 888NXT. Plus, when cutting fluids provide optimal lubricity, they reduce friction and lower vibrations during operation, which reduces wear and tear on machines so they can last longer. 

Improved Shop Environment and Worker Health 

Metalworking fluids touch every part of a workshop environment, including the equipment, workpieces, and workers. Next generation and biobased coolants are formulated to be less irritating to the operators. These fluids can also help improve operator morale.

The newest generations of TRIM cutting fluids are also resistant to bacteria and tramp oil, which can produce smoke and residues during machining operations. TRIM fluids can not only prevent its formation but can also improve overall air quality. 

Manufacturing plays a crucial role in achieving a carbon-neutral, green future. It’s important to act quickly and collectively — even small advancements in waste reduction and CO2 emissions are a step in the right direction. With the newest generation of metalworking fluids, manufacturers will have a tangible impact on climate change as they improve operational efficiency. 

For more insight into “greening” your metalworking operation with these advanced chemicals, call +1 800-537-3365 or email [email protected].